[mythtv-users] : HLS Recorder Guide Data - HOWTO

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 01:29:55 UTC 2012

On 11 August 2012 01:53, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi;
>
> In 0.26, HTTP Live Streaming recorder [17c164a] is added. That
> commit has some setup information, however, I don't understand
> how to get guide data populated.
>
> I've recorded (manually) the NASA channel OK.
>
> Any clues? I'll write a Wiki if needed (I can't find one.)
>

> Mini Wiki (allows a manual recording rule to work):
>
> Card: Type; Network reorder
>       URL;  http://my_mbe/playlist.m3u (copied from the commit)
>
> Source:  Name; HLS Test
>          Grabber; No grabber
>          Frequency table; default
>
> Connections: Name; HLS Connection
>              Source; HLS Test
>              Quick tuning; Never
>              Scan for channels ? doesn't start ?

The HLS recorder works like any other IPTV source. It takes a URL to a
m3u playlist file that contains the list of HLS streams (URL to m3u8)
Example: the playlist provided in the commit you refer to contains:
http://www.avenard.org/files/media/playlist.m3u

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,300 - NASA TV (English)
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/NTV-Public-IPS.m3u8
#EXTINF:0,301 - Al Jazeera (English)
http://aj.lsops.net/live/aljazeer_en_high.sdp/playlist.m3u8
#EXTINF:0,302 - France 24 (French)
http://stream7.france24.yacast.net/iphone/france24/fr/iPad.f24_fr.m3u8

In this file, you can define an XMTV feed and xmltvid, but this isn't provided.

Like any other recorder, you need to provide a XMLTV feed and set the
xmltv id for each channel.
I have written a data grabber for those channels a while back, but it
needs work as I haven't updated it in years:
http://www.avenard.org/iptv/TPG_and_IPTV/EPG.html

In the mean time, you can either use manual recording, or simply watch
the channel using LiveTV.

I'll write a wiki entry about it

Jean-Yves