[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Fri Aug 10 21:52:21 UTC 2012

On 8/10/12 9:20 AM, Andrew McCauley wrote:
>> Personally I've choosen to stay with an rather old snapshot of
>> 0.24-fixes - as it's currently the most stable solution for me.
>
> +1
>
> 24 was rock solid.  I regret the day I upgraded to .25.  No good way
> to roll back now (I did not realize how unstable .25 was until it was
> about 1 month in to using it) I figured it would get better with
> time...  Not yet.  .
>
> I still love mythtv.  But WAF is low right now.  (Mythtv decided not
> to record 12h of Olympics coverage yesterday...  Does not help that I
> am 9,000 miles away from home working 14h days so no time to
> troublshoot)

Oh - my humble experience are really in favour of 0.26.
Lets put aside for moment OP context (which for me seems to be rather
particular installation/config issue): 0.26 has many fundamental changes
i.e. within thread locking/synchronization infrastructure which I
clearly see as huge improvement. I feel them in daily use. Believe me !
Currently I would say 0.26 is first release I would qualify as: it works
as it should (regarding PVR/LiveTV functions).

One thing IMHO is important at this stage: distinguishing design bugs
from implementation bugs.
There are many commits in 0.26 addressing first category.
This is great and it will highly pay-off for general MythTV stability.
Sure, it will be still masked by implementation bugs.
In my experience all this is normal in software development and I'm
really happy that dev's are on exactly this route. There are many
alternative temptations so keeping this route requires some maturity...
I think currently MythTV quality is enough high to look into OP system
setup as clearly there is possibility to have running MythTV with
production quality....

just my 0.02$