[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

Monkey Pet monkeypet at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 06:30:34 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I agree there are valid use cases for LiveTV, but I think (IMHO) there
> >> are many more compelling reasons to change your viewing habits
> >> instead.
>
> > Sorry Tyler - but this really "hacks me off" about people "supporting"
> free software. I see it more
> > and more:
> >
> > "Why not change your habits to fit in with the software"
> > "Why are you doing that - that is wrong, do this"
>
> Fair enough. However, sometimes users really are wrong. Firefox's
> awesomebar, for example: I griped about the bloat when it first came
> out, but now I love the awesomebar and use it all the time.
>
> Your point is well taken, however. I agree that all too often, we are
> forced to work around or settle for sub-par software. But there are
> sometimes two sides to that coin.
>
> > Just to clarify, when I say I have live TV playback problems, I mean
> > watching an in progress recording -
>
> Ok, that may be a source of confusion. When I say LiveTV, I mean
> hitting "Watch TV" from the homescreen. This is the feature that seems
> to be um, somewhat "neglected" and/or even "discouraged" by (some of)

I do this all the time, hit "Watch TV".  I guess I am one of the users that
are wrong.  I use a HDHR Prime with 1 cable-card, rented for $1 per month.
 Now, I have frontends streaming it to multiple TVs, saving me rental fees
for the individual cable boxes.  When I just want to watch sometime for a
few mins, I usually just hit WatchTV and actually watch it.  No, I don't
want to record the show and I'll never watch it again later.  I just want
to consume the show immediately, then forget about it.  I also change
channels while watching.  Is that wrong/discourage also?

One another note, I sometimes wonder what the benefit of the mythtvfrontend
is if the sole purpose of mythtv is watching recorded shows.  I could do
the same with a combination of running just the mythbackend with
xbmc/myth-plugin as the frontend.  Also the xbmc/myth-plugin can watch
live-tv, schedule recordings!  Also xbmc just like mythfrontend will do
weather/music/pictures/videos/etc. My other set top boxes like asus/wd will
do DLNA and stream the recorded show from mythbackend.

the devs (and myself ;) ). If I'm not mistaken, watching a program