[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

Pieter De Wit pieter at insync.za.net
Thu Aug 9 18:02:17 UTC 2012

On 10/08/2012 03:16, Tyler T wrote:
>> For the other comments about watching live TV -
>> in this case unless we wait 3-4 hours for the recording
>> to finish we have to watch it live,
> Why wait? Myth will let you watch a recording still in-progress. You
> can start watching mere seconds after the recording starts
> (personally, I would rather wait 12 minutes or so, so I could
> commercial-skip).
>
>> And I like
>> watching old movies on TCM at bedtime. I do not want to record them,
>> just relax watching.
> I know you say you don't want to record them, but why not? Hard drives
> are cheap, one movie won't take much space: you could set a rule to
> record category=movies on TCM with a max recording limit of 1. Then
> you'll be able to watch whatever movie is in-progress and it'll get
> deleted automatically with no further action on your part. Plus,
> you'll now have the option of watching a movie from the beginning (to
> catch important early plot elements). And, you can play back with
> timestretch for slow movies. You can also skip commercials or boring
> bits. And should you discover a really great movie you might like to
> watch again, or that your spouse or friend might like to watch later,
> or if you just feel sleepy and want to finish it later yourself, you
> can 'preserve this episode' or archive it or burn it or whatever. Or
> you can export it to your mobile device for later viewing away from
> home.
>
> I agree there are valid use cases for LiveTV, but I think (IMHO) there
> are many more compelling reasons to change your viewing habits
> instead. Even if LiveTV were perfectly stable, leaving it behind would
> be an upgrade in my book.
Sorry Tyler - but this really "hacks me off" about people "supporting"
free software. I see it more and more:

"Why not change your habits to fit in with the software"
"Why are you doing that - that is wrong, do this"

I often see/seen it on C programming, with regards to Linux. The people
posting (and not perhaps you in this case) don't really have an
understanding of what someone is trying to do, or simple can't see why
someone would want to do that. IMHO, that is no reason to ask someone to
change any aspect.

My case is simple - I don't want to record every program I think about.
I already have enough computers around the house so storage will be an
issue (I use NFS mounts for all my Myth storage, except
/var/lib/myhtv/livetv). We often (if not daily) pause livetv for up to 1
hour while having dinner (perfect way to get kids *not* to watch TV
while eating) then resume when everyone is back or whom ever is watching
the program.

Following 1 or more programs, the audience may change so again, livetv
is paused until they are all around. Skipping thru ad's is a major pain
atm, since comm. detection for Aus/NZ is failing (easy fix, disable it
for now). As of late, we have noticed that we fast forward, the time
jumps in 30 seconds blocks, but the video doesn't, until you reach a
magic point, then it is skipped to the next set of ad's or end of the
program.

If we are not paused, "live" livetv program transition is still painful.
I have a HDHomerun which now highlights dropped packets. Yes, this
*could* be hardware, but it worked fine in the "last stable 0.24" and
seems better now in 0.26

I am looking at splitting out the frontend/backend.

My point is/was - surely more people would have noticed this ? Esp. the
dev's that use Myth as a day-to-day TV viewing platform (Thanks JYA for
standing up :) - oh - and Adrian)

Cheers,

Pieter