[mythtv-users] Exporting for iPad

Dave Pearson lists at the-pearsons.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 13:41:53 UTC 2012

-----Original message-----
From:Matt Wynne <matt at mattwynne.net>
Sent:Wed 08-08-2012 12:14
Subject:[mythtv-users] Exporting for iPad
To:Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>;

We're going away on holiday and I'd like to put a few of the kids' favourites on the iPad.
 I was excited to find this[1] perl script for ipod export, but when I tried to run it I got all kinds of warnings (I'm running Ubuntu 12.04) saying ffmpeg is deprecated.
 So my new tactic is just to use avconv on files in the /home/mythtv/recordings directory that start with the right channel ID. I'm planning to put them into a DropBox folder so I can see them from the iPad.
 Anyone see a flaw in this plan? Any better ideas or experiences out there?
 [1] http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ipod_export

cheers,
Matt
 --
Freelance programmer & coach
Author, http://pragprog.com/book/hwcuc/the-cucumber-book

Hi Matt,

I've been successfully using MythPodcaster to create iPhone/iPad podcasts. I use it for both TV and DVB Radio recordings. Once the podcast has been created any new episodes are automatically added, so then Downcast will download then as soon as they become available on your server.

caveats: you do need to have a web server that you can access, I seem to recall I had to modify the parameters to get MythPodcaster to create sensible sized video files (a compromise between quality & size for 3g downloads).

Good luck with whatever option you choose to use.

Dave