[mythtv-users] Exporting for iPad

Stephen Robertson stephengrobertson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 13:00:34 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Daniel Frey <dmfrey at gmail.com> wrote:

> On ubuntu you can enable mythexport. This will allow you to setup
> transcode jobs for your shows that will make them a more appropriate size
> for your ipad. When complete, the files can be accessed from a rss feed on
> your myth backend
> On Aug 8, 2012 7:13 AM, "Matt Wynne" <matt at mattwynne.net> wrote:
>
>> We're going away on holiday and I'd like to put a few of the kids'
>> favourites on the iPad.
>>
>> I was excited to find this[1] perl script for ipod export, but when I
>> tried to run it I got all kinds of warnings (I'm running Ubuntu 12.04)
>> saying ffmpeg is deprecated.
>>
>> So my new tactic is just to use avconv on files in the
>> /home/mythtv/recordings directory that start with the right channel ID. I'm
>> planning to put them into a DropBox folder so I can see them from the iPad.
>>
>> Anyone see a flaw in this plan? Any better ideas or experiences out there?
>>
>> [1] http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ipod_export
>>
>>     cheers,
>> Matt

Mythexport was what I used to do exactly this recently.  I settled on
Downcast as the iPad app to hand the RSS feed as it displayed the recording
data (title/description) better than the apps I tried before it.
 Completely OT but I also got a case (griifin I think) to strap the iPad to
the headrest of the car so that it could be seen from the back seat.  Great
for saving sanity on longer journeys.

Stephen