[mythtv-users] Any problem with main frontend also being household network server?

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 08:49:28 UTC 2012

Hi all,

In the past I have had a loud old machine in the garrage that acted as
the 'always on' network server for the house, and was also attached to
the projector in the front room, so this machine was also the main frontend.

The old machine died, and we are also having a garage conversion done
and re-jigging rooms.

My intention has been to buy another 'always on network server' machine,
but in an attractive quiet case that can sit on the book case next to
the projector (same room). This again would act as the LAN server, Myth
Backend, and main Myth Frontend.

When I read online, I get the impression that most people would
recommend a separate 'always on' machine for the network server.

The only positive I can see to this is you could then have a 'lighter'
frontend.

The negatives, to me, seem to be that I'd be replacing 1 box with 2
boxes. One frontend machine and one network server (which I assume would
also be the myth backend .. otherwise it would be 2 'always on'
machines, which just seems nuts). 2 machines rather than one means both
more expense and more space needed (when we are already losing space due
to the garage conversion.

Am I missing something? Is there anything wrong with my 1 box setup,
replacing what I have had with the same functionality, but in a quiet
attractive case (if I can find one .. preferable pre-built as my
'tinkering' time seems to have evaporated these days). Or is there a
reason why I really should try to find the space and money for 2 quiet
boxes?

Thanks
Damian