[mythtv-users] A plea for some consideration for the poor suffering MythTV users

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 8 07:17:44 UTC 2012

> The comments have been very valid, and yes, I could have just installed the MythTV packages. However, I'd still have
> this (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/525274) problem.

Martin

If I've understood you correctly when you exit from a playing video
you get a 'frozen snapshot' of the video that does not clear down to
the menus?

That could be a number of things......

1.  Which graphics card are you using?  If Nvidia are you using the
Nvidia driver or the Nouveau one?

2.  Have you enabled desktop compositing?

3.  What modes are you playing the videos in

Mythfrontend -->  Setup  -->  Video -->  Playback

Have you checked the system log immediately after an instance to see
if there are any reported errors?
Last time I used the distribution packages I

> had another sound issue (or was it the dreaded lirc?) which I could only resolve with the latest source at the
> time. Marius Ducea has some very apt comments here (http://www.ducea.com/2008/01/16/source-or-package-install/). I want
> to unclutter the MythTV menus and not install packages that I don't use so a source build is needed.

The Installation from the Mint repos allows you to choose pretty
specifically what apps and options you install, so menus are
decluttered.  Rather then using apt-get from the command line use the
synaptic gui and choose the specific packages you want installed.

> I'd also still have to fix this (https://bugs.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+bug/1004974) to fix the
> Mythbuntu theme which a "user" (ie. spouse) spotted within two minutes of using the new system.

Specific bug with fix offered that can be done whether you compile
yourself or repo install.

> Next time, if I still want to build from source I'll be doing the apt-get build-dep first as suggested.
>
> Brian's analogy with a car owner/mechanic is apt but if I could elaborate a bit:
>         I'm a "trained professional" with 25 years experience in designing, building and fixing engines of many
> sorts. I'm OK with getting my hands dirty in order to get the car running the way I like with the appropriate features.
> When I get the latest version of the fuel injection computer direct from the manufacturer, I really don't want to spend
> hours on some problem only to find that the water pump that's been in the car for 5 years has to be upgraded as well and
> without it, turning the ignition key only results in the machine back-firing and spitting the key out of the ignition
> (ie. a segmentation fault). It would also be nice if the gear level didn't disappear into the engine compartment every
> time the ignition is turned off because of some missing setting on the exhaust gas recirculation valve. And when I ask
> for some advice from the local garage, I get the usual sage shaking of heads with "so you didn't read that bit on page
> 25 under "Before installing the injection computer on an Austin Healy" instead of just reading the "How to install the
> injection computer" booklet that was in the box. I exaggerate, but you get the idea.
>
> Thank you joehenley for summarising my request so succinctly. I've just found this:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Dependencies_(Building_from_source)
> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Dependencies_%28Building_from_source%29> but it seems pretty out of date and incomplete.
> It's also not linked from the main wiki docs page under "Checking Prerequisites, Software". Instead there's a suggestion
> about running the apt-get build-dep if you're using Mythbuntu/Debian and a link to Jarod's blog about Fedora
> installations, which again seems very out of date.

This is subjective and therefore I'll not get into it's merits either
way although I agree with your comment docs could be better, however
that could be said of a lot of IBM and Cisco kit and I've paid through
the nose for that in the past.