[mythtv-users] A plea for some consideration for the poor suffering MythTV users

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Wed Aug 8 01:05:26 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Joe Henley <joehenley at kc.rr.com> wrote:
> Well, first off, thanks for the (much more so than I expected...) gentle
> replies.
>
> And since there's some uncertainty as to the "meaning" of my brief comment,
> let me clarify.  While I hesitate to try to explain another person's
> comments, I'll explain what I got from the OP's note.   He's a fan of Myth;
> been at it for ten years.  He has some Unix admin and related coding skills;
> he's ahead of most users (but I'd guess he probably doesn't think he's ahead
> of most Myth developers).  He's having problems with a Myth install and
> thinks that if he's having problems, then many, many users will too.  He
> says that one of the  things which would help him is complete documentation
> (and my little add-on would be "current and thorough"); and it would
> obviously help those users who are less skilled than he.
>
> (Martin, sorry if I've missed your point.)
>
> There were a couple of replies which were helpful, but in the replies so
> far, not one -- NOT ONE -- has replied to his request.  _Documentation
> please_ to help him install a product which he likes.
>
> So now for the point of my note.  We've told the OP to F'off.  We didn't
> answer his request.  Some of us were sarcastic about his approach; some
> condescending.  Some of us displayed out 'nix proficiency with "apt-get
> this" or "doda sqat that."  None of us answered his very reasonable request.
> If you doubt my dark perspective on the thread, re-read it.  It is not
> "customer friendly."  (I'd call it "customer hostile," but since you've been
> "gentle" with me, I'll be so as well).
>
> Oh, and why do we need to be "customer friendly"?  The answer to that is why
> I struck the analogy to Linux on the desktop.
>
> (Martin, sorry for stealing your thread.)

Dan Ritter listed the 8 steps on what he needed to do to get a working
system. Numerous other people have explained one way or another why he
was doing it the hard way. Sometimes you need to read between the
lines and see what the user is wants to accomplish, not what they are
asking. I've been playing in the dirt since I was a small boy, but if
I ask an excavator how to dig out a foundation with a spoon I would
expect him to tell me I'm doing it wrong.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos