[mythtv-users] A plea for some consideration for the poor suffering MythTV users

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at randomstring.org
Tue Aug 7 14:39:17 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 06:49:41PM +1000, Martin Brown wrote:
> I've been a MythTV user for nearly ten years now. I'm also lucky enough to have some UNIX admin skills. I pity the poor
> MythTV-er who doesn't have a very broad range of skills with UNIX and programming in general.
>
> I had to upgrade my whole system this week owing to some failed hardware and I really hoped that it would be as simple as:
>     1. Install a recent Linux distribution (I chose the latest Mint, Maya)
>     2. Download, compile and install the MythTV distribution
>     3. Re-do the mythtv-setup
>     4. Get back to enjoying MythTV

Here's what I did recently after a major hardware failure:

1. Install Debian stable.
2. Add a mirror of the deb-multimedia repo (one line add in /etc/apt/sources.list)
3. apt-get update; apt-get install mythtv
4. load my database from backup
5. redo my lirc remote settings
6. run mythtv-setup, deleting all recorders and sources, then
   putting them back again
7. set up the window manager to autologin and start mythfrontend
8. enjoy MythTV

-dsr-