[mythtv-users] Frontend 0.24-fixes segfaults when starting playback using opengl

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 07:54:22 UTC 2012

Fellow mythical TVians,

Yesterday I upgraded the OS of my frontend from Ubuntu
11.04 to Ubuntu 11.10, since 11.04 reaches end of support
in a few months. [I don't yet want to upgrade to 12.04
since this forces a simultaneous upgrade to MythTV 0.25,
and I'll do that first while still on 11.10.]

As you would expect this led to some problems, one of
which is that the playback profile I was using prior to
the upgrade causes the frontend to segfault after
commencing playback of a recording: audio and video
playback begins, but the frontend crashes immediately
afterwards.

I was able to obtain reasonable performance by switching
to the CPU++ profile; only the OSD looks a bit flickery
when fast-forwarding but that's not a real problem.

Interestingly, despite the name of this playback
profile, it doesn't make an observable dent in CPU
utilisation at all.

So this isn't really a huge issue for me, and I realise
that 0.24 doesn't get active developer attention any
more. Still, if anything comes to mind to anyone I'd be
grateful.

System info:

CPU: Intel Core i3-540 (3GHz)
Kernel: Linux fe3 3.0.0-23-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Thu
        Jul 19 19:19:11 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64
        GNU/Linux
OpenGL: glxinfo outputs several pages of info,
        including the fact that direct rendering is
        being used
X: compiz disabled ("Gnome Classic")
MythTV: 2:0.24.2+fixes.20120409.e9a0ecb-0ubuntu0mythbuntu4
Content: MPEG2-encoded SD video recorded using Hauppauge
         HVR-1900 tuners
Playback: via HDMI on a Sony TV at 1360x768
Audio: device 'hdmi:CARD=Intel,DEV=0' ch 2(2) sr 48000
       sf signed 16 bit reenc 0

Many thanks, Jan