[mythtv-users] Frontend Control Socket

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Aug 1 00:39:05 UTC 2012

On 7/31/2012 19:34, Jameson wrote:
> According to ticket #10654, the current expected functionality of the
> Frontend Control Socket which would allow you to control a frontend
> across the network is to bind to the IP address set as the local
> backend server.  What if the machine is a frontend only, and is
> connecting to a remote backend?  How is it supposed to bind to a
> socket, so that I can actually connect to it?  It defaults to the
> loopback address, but that is basically useless.  I would pose the
> question in the ticket, but it's locked.

The defaults only exist if you go into mythtv-setup and configure them.
  If you never run it, or you run it and force those fields to be blank,
the frontend will decide on its own where it should listen, which
currently means every address within one of the three private network
address blocks as defined by RFC1918. That means:

10.0.0.0/8
172.16.0.0/12
192.168.0.0/16

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1918#page-4

That last one is likely where you will fall, as nearly ever consumer
router I've ever seen uses that for its DHCP server.