[mythtv-users] Can I pass parameters to my channel changing script?

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 12:26:51 UTC 2012

On 30/04/12 14:12, Brian Long wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 3:34 AM, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
> <mailto:jan.ceuleers at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     I'll have to do some hacking though, because I also want to save
>     some power by powering the STBs down when not in use, so I'll have
>     to power them up from the channel changing script as well.
>
> Jan, before you go to the extra effort, make sure the STBs actually pull
> less power when "powered off".  The reason I say this is that most STBs
> pull the same amount of power once they are plugged in whether or not
> the power light is on.  The power button in my experience only disables
> the outputs (like component, HDMI, DVI, etc).  The STB still pulls
> 20-30W of power meaning your effort to power off when idle might be wasted.

Thanks Brian. My STBs have a power-saving setting that causes them to
really power down after having been on standby for a programmable amount
of time. They then take a while to boot, so I'll need a smart variant of
the black-detection script that's also out there [1].

[1]:
http://evuraan.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-to-ensure-set-top-box-stb-is.html

Cheers, Jan