[mythtv-users] Number of virtual tuners

Tapani Tarvainen mythtv at tapanitarvainen.fi
Mon Apr 30 07:46:03 UTC 2012

On Apr 30 08:08, Simon Hobson (linux at thehobsons.co.uk) wrote:

> Personally I'm inclined to say it's a documentation problem to be
> solved. You cannot set a limit that satisfies the requirement to be
> "safe" for all users (you've found that a limit of just 3 wouldn't
> be "safe" for your hardware) while not artificially restricting
> other users.

Exactly.

> The problem as I see it is that MythTV is a complex
> project for a new user (it's still complex for me and I've been
> using it for years !), and the documentation in some areas can be
> difficult to navigate.

No disagreement there. :-)

> So how can it be made easier for a novice to find the right bit of
> information when they arrive at each setting of the many they need
> to know about ? It's probably a whole wiki page to cover just how to
> setup multirec AND determine how many tuners is "safe" for your
> hardware.

Right.

But, I think it wouldn't make things worse if the limit was removed
(or increased to something like highest value of channels in
single MUX anywhere, i.e., at least 10) and the help text in setup
changed to include a warning like
"VALUES HIGHER THAN 5 REQUIRE A VERY POWERFUL SYSTEM".
It should be enough to keep newcomers from breaking things
accidentally - indeed possibly better than the current
hard limit, which many (?) may read indicating 5 is always safe -
while allowing those who actually have overpowered systems to use
higher values easier than by recompiling.

--
Tapani Tarvainen