[mythtv-users] Airplay stuttering...

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 02:14:29 UTC 2012

On 29 April 2012 01:21, Scott Kidder <kidder.scott at gmail.com> wrote:

> $ tail -f /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log  | grep "mythraopconnection.cpp"

> Apr 28 08:17:58 mythtv-familyroom mythfrontend[1498]: I RAOPDevice
> mythraopconnection.cpp:290 (SendResendRequest) RAOP Conn: Sent resend for
> 45109
> Apr 28 08:17:59 mythtv-familyroom mythfrontend[1498]: W RAOPDevice
> mythraopconnection.cpp:311 (ExpireResendRequests) RAOP Conn: Never received
> resend packet 45109
> Apr 28 08:18:04 mythtv-familyroom mythfrontend[1498]: I RAOPDevice
> mythraopconnection.cpp:276 (SendResendRequest) RAOP Conn: Missed 1
> packet(s): expected 45796 got 45797
> Apr 28 08:18:04 mythtv-familyroom mythfrontend[1498]: I RAOPDevice
> mythraopconnection.cpp:290 (SendResendRequest) RAOP Conn: Sent resend for
> 45796
> Apr 28 08:18:04 mythtv-familyroom mythfrontend[1498]: W RAOPDevice
> mythraopconnection.cpp:311 (ExpireResendRequests) RAOP Conn: Never received
> resend packet 45796

Never receiving the resend packets has been fixed in fixes/0.25 a
little while ago.

However, finally receiving them only reveal a fundamental flaw in the
current RAOP code ; by the time the retry has been received, the
following packet would have already been played so it end up playing
the audio packet in an incorrect order.

Like you receive:
1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 ; 5 is missing it sends a request for 5, so you get the packet:
1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 5 and that's the order it plays ; while there's no
more audio drop like there used to, it creates some weird effects.

As mentioned, I have a full rewrite in progress, and this can't occur,
I also get perfect A/V sync now when playing a video with remote audio

I plan to backport most of it to fixes/0.25 ; and in 0.26 ; you'll get
additional features such as displaying the artwork and name of the
song being played. Well, that's the plan anyway