[mythtv-users] Number of virtual tuners

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Sat Apr 28 18:13:34 UTC 2012

On 28.04.2012 17:10, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 12-04-28 10:37 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>> Max of 5 was chosen as "the biggest that makes sense for nearly all
>> users".  The max prevents users who think, "more must be better," from
>> breaking their systems due to ignorance.
>
> Indeed.  The other way I see this frequently handled is to display an
> explanation of the danger of going beyond a value and asking for a
> confirmation.  Is that not reasonable here?

Please don't. I'd rather see that part of the recorders rewritten so we
can remove the option and still get the feature then seeing even more
options. (I'm counting a confirmation as an option here)

>> Those who want higher are
>> welcome to change the code--and fix any problems that occur as a result.
>
> But what problems?  Somebody said earlier that it was merely a
> diminishing returns problem due to a non-linear complexity growth in
> scheduling with that many virtual tuners.  To me, that simply means that
> the scheduler takes longer to get it's result or requires more resources
> to do it in a reasonable amount of time.
>
> What other "problems" are you referring to?  Is there additional
> constraints (beyond simply scheduling complexity) that nobody has talked
> about yet?

There have been reports of issues when the scheduler run takes to long
(for various definitions of "long"). The scheduler is being optimized,
CPUs get faster, etc. pp. Basically you are leaving known waters and
might meet dragons :)

More power to you if you go there and life to tell the story :D

Regards,
Karl