[mythtv-users] Old recordings show incorrect lengths during playback

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Apr 28 14:56:28 UTC 2012

On 04/28/2012 01:02 AM, Simon Koch wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
>
>> On Apr 26, 2012, at 9:14 PM, Simon Koch wrote:
>>
>>> Since upgrading to 0.25, when I watch some of my old recordings the
>>> length is displayed wrong in the OSD.  For example, some 30 minute
>>> recordings of the Twilight Zone show lengths from 43 minutes to as much as
>>> 10 and a half hours.  As I watch, the time progresses normally to 30
>>> minutes when the recording stops.  On the other hand, the length displays
>>> correctly when I edit the recording.
>>>
>>> I haven't been able to identify much of a common thread between the
>>> anomalous recordings.  They all seem to be from the PVR-250 and PVR-500
>>> era, I haven't found any recordings that I know to be from Firewire or
>>> HDHomeRun with this problem yet.  Not all of my MPEG encoder recordings
>>> show the problem, though.  What should I look for to troubleshoot this, or
>>> what information should I try to gather so I can write a useful bug report?
>>>   I feel like I don't have much solid information to work with right now.
>> This sounds like http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10623 .
>>
> That's exactly it.  That's what I get for not re-checking the bug list
> after I try investigating it on my own.

FWIW, the ticket is wrong about, "Running a mythcommflag --rebuild on
the offending file will resolve the improper length, however it would
take significant work to manually rebuild all existing recordings in the
library impacted by this problem."

I have run --rebuild against all of nearly 2000 recordings and it took
only a few seconds of my time (and a day or 2 of background computer
time).  Just set up a script to loop over all the files in the
recordings directories and queue a rebuild for each (and, for bonus
points, have it skip any "new since upgrade" recordings).

Mike