[mythtv-users] myth .25 verdict?

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Fri Apr 27 09:50:40 UTC 2012

On 4/25/12 10:14 PM, Dan Armbrust wrote:
> So, what's the general consensus on a .25 upgrade?
>
> Is it good?  Or, does it break a bunch of things, and typical users
> should wait a bit, for the first round of fixes?  Kinda like waiting
> for SP1 of a MS release :)
>
> In general, every update I've made in the last couple of years has
> made my system worse... and I'm rather reluctant to go through the
> battle again, but my current .24 system has several annoying bugs*....
> I'd sure be happy if they were fixed in .25
>
> * The scheduler can't seem to figure out when it is already recording.
>   I frequently end up with 3 copies of the same show, each recorded by
> a different tuner, at the same time.  Although, only one of them
> starts on time... the others start at some random (late) time into the
> show.
> * Size 0 recordings - I still see these once in a while - marked
> successful, size 0, upon playback, no file can be found.  But this
> issue has gotten better as patches came out on .24.
> * MythVideo has all sorts of issues getting the right data for my
> files... about 10% of the time it looks up the correct program ID from
> one data service, and then uses that ID on a different data service,
> resulting in the complete wrong information (coverart, description,
> filename) on the screen.
> * MythWeather - useless - I have never seen this work.

Hi,

Just my 0.02$

IMHO it is FAR best version ever.

I'm in mythtv camp since 0.17. It serves our whole home (3 diskless ION1
FE + headless BE).
All users heavily using PVR capability. This resulting approx 35-50 rec
per day from 2xDVB-S2 + 1xDVB-T. Regarding 0B recordings - since last
months I didn't saw single 0B rec.file. Taking into account that it was
over 1000 rec - this shows current BE quality.
Things which is now little showstopper is #10647.

Regarding mythtvideo: usually, before copying movie file into BE
storage, I make sure file name is the same like movie title on TMDB.
With this approach I don't have any issue with movies metadata (few
hundredths of them).

Comparing to 0.24 I would say following:
+runs really smooth on ION1 (maybe placebo but anyway: ION is REALLY
nice platform for 0.25)
+perfect reliability for recording
+LiveTV finally really usable for my hommies (except annoying #10647 and
little slowness on channels change)
+mythmusic finally is on MythUI

-lack of OSD notifications for general msg, VoIP, etc (in 0.24 I used it
for notifying about e-mails, showing sys.temps and VoIP calls on our home)
-lack of mythmusic dir.tree presentation aka dj mode (I really really
miss this !!!!!)
-high mythmusic UI sluggishness after some usage (definitely resources
leak here)

I really encourage You to switch to 0.25. From stability & quality point
of view - for me it was day & night compared to 0.24.

-br