[mythtv-users] Number of virtual tuners

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Apr 26 07:19:52 UTC 2012

On 26 Apr 2012, at 05:00, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 10:44:42PM +0200, Karl Dietz (dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org) wrote:
>
>> You can record overlapping programs from one DVB card with the multirec
>> feature. By default each DVB cards gets added as 2 virtual tuners.
>> You can push that up to 5 in mythtv-setup.
>
> Is there some reason to that limit, by the way?

When multirec was being developed 5 was decided on as the point where performance was still good on contemporary hardware. You can change the limit and re-compile if you need to, a friend's system handles 8 SD channels with no problem on a 2.6Ghz C2D, multirec set to 10.

I mostly record HD and currently there are 4 channels to a mux, it's not that often an overlap causes me to "waste" a tuner.

with the way broadcasters are cramming more and more channels in to one mux maybe this default limit needs re-assessing.

> I could use more: we have up to 10 channels per MUX,
> and I've already hit the limit - recorded 6 programs
> of same MUX at the same time, that is, using two

Then there are overlaps too!

Andre