[mythtv-users] My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows

Kane Tse kane.tse at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 16:39:09 UTC 2012

I have the older HDHomerun (white model with dual tuners).  After just
over a year of reliable service in MythTV-0.24.x under Fedora, it has
become nearly useless in the past week.   The symptom is an increasing
amount of glitches in the recording, progressing to the point of being
unwatchable.  It appears similar to when signal strength is low.

I have the same antenna hooked up to a Hauppauge HVR-850 and the
built-in ATSC tuner on my TV, and both can receive OTA signals
flawlessly.  In fact, the HVR-850 is functioning 100% with MythTV, so
it's not a signal problem.

Initial Google searches pointed to the HDHomerun power supply, and
although my power supply was not one of the recalled ones, I swapped
out the HDHomerun with another power supply with the same specs, and
the problems remained.  Then (returning to the original HDHomerun
power adapter) I tried using the Silicon Dust's Windows program to
access the HDHomerun, and the signal was perfect.

Also did a test of my backend's network card, and don't see any packet loss.

I believe from these steps, I have ruled out the following:

1) It is not a signal reception issue; as other tuners (HVR-850) are
working fine.
2) It is not an HDHomerun hardware problem; as I can tune successfully
from Windows.
3) It is not a playback issue - because older recordings can be played
back successfully.

I have not updated my Linux recently.  I am considering a complete
wipe of Linux because I'm running Fedora 15, but that's a desperation
move best left until after season finales have aired in May.
Hopefully there are other alternate solutions I can attempt.

Can anyone advise me on where to look?

Thanks!