[mythtv-users] Command Line Control

Ben Butler ben.butler at west16.co.uk
Tue Apr 24 15:06:39 UTC 2012

Hi All,

New here, apologies if this has come up before, the only reference I found
to command line control of myth was via SSH/VNC GUI to a remote system.

What I would like to be able to do is problematically control Myth from
scripts / cron jobs that sort of thing and not interact with the GUI
directly.

The scope of the control relates to mythfrontend and doing things like
pausing / resuming playback of LiveTV, "changing channel" where I would
switch from watching one pre-recorded video to another - that sort of
thing.

An example might be... I am watching a film and at 9PM I have to get my
International News fix so I want to automatically via a cron job pause my
film (without touching the remote) and leave it recording on the tuner it
is on and then switch to BBC news until 9:30 and then switch myself back
to my film at the same point I left it and continue watching. Its a silly
example I know, maybe my dog has eaten my remote control and keyboard lol,
but it does none the less illustrate what I would like to be able to
accomplish.

So can we control the front end from the command line?

Thanks in advance

Ben