[mythtv-users] 0.25-fixes 'Video Frame Buffering Failed TooMany Times' whenever a new program starts (Live TV)

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 16:11:19 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Warpme <warpme at o2.pl> wrote:
> FYI
> I backported all recent (0349883 & 7c7852f) master LiveTV commits to
> 0.25-fixes and unfortunately livetv works much worse for me compared to
> current vanilla 0.25-fixes.
> With recent commits from master almost every transition ends in main menu,
> while current 0.25-fixes ends let say 1 on 10.
> With current 0.25-fixes I also observed another trigger causing livetv
> "return main menu": pressing info on just switched new livetv segment. Doing
> this causes hang on livetv playback every 2-4 tries.
> Sorry passing not nice feedback....
>
> My sys has separate BE & FE. FE are disk-less PXE booted over GE network. BE
> part is ext3.

Thanks for the feedback, now I have another person to bug for feedback
on future changes. :)

On my system running Master, transitions have pretty much stopped
failing with the "video frame buffering failed" messages.  However,
there is often a 15-20 second freeze between transitions which I'm now
looking into, so I don't consider it fixed by any means.  Behavior
tends to be slightly different depending on whether I'm viewing ATSC
OTA or HDPVR content.  I suspect that has to do with bitrate -- lower
bitrate recordings may be more likely to show the bugs as they are
more likely to cause false EOF conditions.

FWIW, my FE/BE setup is similar to yours, except the file systems are ext4.

Progress is unfortunately slow, as I have limited windows of time to
play around with the production backend, and then it takes time to
study frontend and backend logs that are 20-30 MB each...

Jim