[mythtv-users] Labels instead of Recording Groups

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Apr 22 11:37:55 UTC 2012

On 04/21/2012 09:19 PM, Rick Lane wrote:

> This sounds like something to look forward to.
>
> I was wondering how wide a role you are planning for the labels?
>
> I've also been using Recording Groups as simple user accounts, but
> something I've been trying to work out (and failing for the most part)
> is how to bundle together recording rules so I only have to set the
> Recording Group when creating a new recording schedule, and different
> actions are performed based on the selected recording group. For example,
>
> Person A wants her cooking programmes indefinitely  stored, so
> auto-expire should be false
> Person B only watches via a tablet after its been transcoded into xyz
> format and copied to a network share
> Person C is two, and so their programmes can be transcoded immediately
> after commflagging so they don't see all the toy adverts.
> Person D records dvb radio broadcasts, so if its a radio channel
> extract the audio and move it to his podcast archive.
>
> Currently this is set up each time I set a new recording schedule, but
> I've been thinking about implementing some script triggered at the end
> of the recording which decides what to do based on Recording Group.
>
> The holy grail though, and i accept, probably a nightmare to engineer,
> would be to define a user/tag/label and associated actions, and then
> when creating a schedule, select the type of recording and who its
> for, - with the normal scheduler options accessible behind an
> 'advanced' button for when you occasionally need to tweak things
> further - like when one action conflicts with another.
>
> Is this beyond what you're planning? If the answers 'yes', and i
> expect it is, then thats fine. I can't code and don't expect anyone to
> do it for me - i'll get on with the script and see if i end up with
> something robust enough for the wiki...

At this point, yes, it's beyond my plans.  Once the labels are in place,
it's quite possible that they will be extended and used for additional
things.

That said, a script-based approach using user jobs sounds like a good
idea.  I'll try to remember to update the user job code to add a
%LABELS% expansion.  And, if you create a script to do this (before
and/or after labels), it would be welcomed on the wiki scripts category
( http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Scripts + specifically
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:User_Job_Scripts ).

Oh, and FWIW, eventually (though this one has been on the TODO list for
many versions/years, now), we hope to allow recording rule templates (to
allow you to define your preferred settings) so creating recording rules
with non-default values should become easier.

Mike