[mythtv-users] Labels instead of Recording Groups

Rick Lane rick at timeforabrew.com
Sun Apr 22 01:19:37 UTC 2012

Hi,

This sounds like something to look forward to.

I was wondering how wide a role you are planning for the labels?

I've also been using Recording Groups as simple user accounts, but
something I've been trying to work out (and failing for the most part) is
how to bundle together recording rules so I only have to set the Recording
Group when creating a new recording schedule, and different  actions are
performed based on the selected recording group. For example,

Person A wants her cooking programmes indefinitely  stored, so auto-expire
should be false
Person B only watches via a tablet after its been transcoded into xyz
format and copied to a network share
Person C is two, and so their programmes can be transcoded immediately
after commflagging so they don't see all the toy adverts.
Person D records dvb radio broadcasts, so if its a radio channel extract
the audio and move it to his podcast archive.

Currently this is set up each time I set a new recording schedule, but I've
been thinking about implementing some script triggered at the end of the
recording which decides what to do based on Recording Group.

The holy grail though, and i accept, probably a nightmare to engineer,
would be to define a user/tag/label and associated actions, and then when
creating a schedule, select the type of recording and who its for, - with
the normal scheduler options accessible behind an 'advanced' button for
when you occasionally need to tweak things further - like when one action
conflicts with another.

Is this beyond what you're planning? If the answers 'yes', and i expect it
is, then thats fine. I can't code and don't expect anyone to do it for me -
i'll get on with the script and see if i end up with something robust
enough for the wiki...