[mythtv-users] Disk Space Way Wrong

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sat Apr 21 22:20:57 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Why do you waste all that time and effort ? I run mythtv-setup from my desk
> - just "ssh -X <user at backend address>" and fire up mythtv-setup. It fires up
> in an X session right here on my laptop.
> OK, many many years ago you needed to "know incantations" to get remote X
> displays working, but the "-X" (or "-Y") option in SSH does it all
> automagically. It's built in to OS X, dunno what's needed to make it work in
> Windows - but if you work with Unix-like system then it's worth finding out.
> I've run entire KDE desktops like this in the past.

Unforunately, Windopws isn't nearly as friendly as OSX in that
respect. There's no built in support for it, so you have to rely on
3rd party software. I'll admit it's been a number of years since I
last tried, but last time I successfully did it, I found it to be a
huge pain to setup and configure, and it didn't perform very well.
Maybe things have changed since, but I sort of wrote it off back then
due to the unpleasant experience. Guess you could say it scarred me
for life :-) Maybe it's worth getting over my aversion and trying
again, but for as rarely as I need to do so (more often I need to get
into the bios or something) it just never seems worth the trouble of
trying.

--
Ron Frazier