[mythtv-users] 0.25 - livetv fails when starting on a specificchannel

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sat Apr 21 20:21:30 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
>> Well, if not having the file system mounted (such that the backend
>> streams the recording) causes recordings from the channel to fail, we
>> really need to fix that.
>> And, if not having actimeo=0 was preventing the ringbuffer from reading
>> too close to the end of the recording, that would imply that reading the
>> files locally would also read too close to the end of the file--meaning
>> that needs fixing.
>> Both issues sound like they could be related to either a low bitrate
>> channel (like Daniel mentioned), or even a misconfiguration of your
>> backend (i.e. have you set any "non-standard" options to change the HD
>> ring buffer size or vdpaubuffersize or ...).
> I don't believe it's a low bitrate. I took a quick look at one of the
> files in VLC and I think it said about 12 Mbps. I can double check but
> I doubt that's it. WOW is actually pretty good about not
> overcompressing things, and they've only got 2 channels (including
> this one) on that multiplex. Plus, I don't seem to have any problems
> with my SD channels, which are definitely much lower bitrates (with 6
> or 7 channels to a multiplex)
> I'm definitely not using any custom vdpau settings (just the VDPAU
> normal profile). As far as the backend settings, I don't think I've
> done anything odd, but this is a system that's been upgraded several
> times, so who knows what config I might have set in the last 5 years.
> I think the best bet will be for me to stop everything, setup a clean
> alternate database (ex: mythconverg_test), point it to that, and see
> what I get with that. It will probably be a few days before I get a
> chance to do this.

Took me a while to get around to this, but I was able to confirm that
it wasn't a setting I had changed. I pointed everything at a new empty
database and changed no settings, and I was still able to make this
happen on this one channel by unmounting my nfs volume to force
streaming. So, any suggestions for how to proceed from here?

Ron Frazier