[mythtv-users] Can I get 5.1 audio from MythTV with this setting?

Igor Cicimov icicimov at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 03:26:43 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Igor Cicimov <icicimov at gmail.com> wrote:

> usually no.
>>
>> The TV will only pass stereo PCM through their audio output.
>>
>> The only way you can enjoy surround in most scenarii is if you're
>> connected as so:
>> mythtv -> amp -> TV
>>

> As I suspected :-(
>
> Thanks Jean-Yves for saving me from useless efforts and testing.
>
> Cheers,
> Igor

On the other hand, the TV shows or movies with Dolby Digital sound play
fine on the surround and I can hear sound from the back speakers as well.
Or this doesn't mean I have 5.1 playback? This was pretty much the reason
I believed I can do it the way I described above thinking if the TV is
passing the DD sound from the free to air channels then why it wouldn't do
so for the MythTV signal as well?

Hmmm very confusing. Is the TV doing some down mixing of the audio stream I
wonder to convert it to stereo?

Thanks again for your time.

Igor