[mythtv-users] MythSystemEventHandler: Command '...' returned 1

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Thu Apr 19 16:25:00 UTC 2012

Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 4/19/2012 08:13, Thomas Boehm wrote:
>> Oh boy, just found out that the commands are run as user mythtv and not
>> as the user who run's the frontend. Is this intended to be like this?
>> Especially since this is a "per frontend setting"...
>
> This is a per-host setting, and each connected host will run the
> specified handler once.  The master backend will always run the command
> directly on whatever host it is running on.  It will then pick one
> application connected to it from each connected host to run the command
> through.

This went right over my head, especially the last sentence ;-)

I understood that it is a per-host setting (that's what I meant by
per-frontend setting) and on a combined BE/FE the setting in
mythtv-setup is the same than in mythfrontend and the command will be
executed as the user who runs mythtv-backend (im my case mythtv).

On a standalone FE the command set in mythfrontend on that host will be
executed on that host AND as the user who runs mythfrontend, right?

Or does your last sentence mean that the command set on the backend will
be executed on every host with a connected frontend, even if there is no
command set in mythfrontend on that host? If so, as which user is it
executed, the user who runs mythfrontend?

It doesn't seem logical to me that a setting in a frontend on a BE/FE
behaves differently from a setting on a standalone FE. The settings on a
BE/FE should be separate in the frontend AND the backend. There were a
lot of other settings in 0.24 which you set in mythfrontend and which
effect the backend. I think it got better in 0.25. Sometimes you can't
find a certain setting because you're not sure whether it is in
mythtv-setup or mythfrontend...

Anyway, I solved my problem by switching to xscreensaver, but
understanding the whole "system event thingy" might be useful one day ;-)