[mythtv-users] h.264 transcoding

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Thu Apr 19 15:39:34 UTC 2012

Raymond Norton wrote:
> I have been through the wiki, looking for transcode scripts for User
> Jobs. I am most interested in transcoding all recordings to h.264. The
> scripts I have tried from the wiki and googling around err out for one
> reason or another (I have libx264 enabled). Does anyone have a link to
> an h.264 script known to work with 0.25?

There was a discussion about this here recently (within the last
month?). If you want to transcode ALL recordings, you will spend more in
electricity than you would save in cost of the additional disk space.

Otherwise there will be no difference between 0.24 and 0.25. My script
still works after the upgrade. It's taken from various scripts from the
wiki with a few additions. First it cuts out the ads using projectx,
then it transcodes to h.264 using HandBrakeCLI, then it adds the
metadata taken from the database using mkvmerge and finally deletes the
recording (or puts it in the deleted recordings group and sets
autoexpire to 999) and saves it in a folder accessible by mythvideo.

I could put it in the wiki, but I can't guarantee that it runs everywhere.

HTH
Thomas