[mythtv-users] THIS IS A NON-COMMERCIAL MAILING LIST (WAS: Re: Torc for iOS - Application Submitted to the App Store for Review)

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Apr 18 14:26:19 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:01 PM, Christopher Kerr
<mythtv at theseekerr.com> wrote:
> OK, allow me to be clear. I'm a full time engineering student who works
> part-time to make ends meet. For 30 weeks of the year I have, essentially,
> no free time at all, and this will continue to be the case for another 2
> years.

I hate to break it to you, but it's not going to get any easier when
you're no longer a student.  Doubly so if you decide to add "Dad" to
your resume.

If you're going to roll up your sleeves and help, there's no time like
the present.

> But as it is, dozens of such comments are made on this list every week, and
> never have I seen a developer pop in to say "Oh, hey, there does seem to be
> a lot of users concerned about this, I'll give it some of my time".

That's not primarily how open source works.  It's more of a "I'm
concerned about this, I'll give it some of my time." type thing.

I would like to see more developers being able to spend more time to
work on Open Source.  Lacking time bubble technology that may mean
needing to find some way to bring money in so that working on open
source can be a full time occupation.  With developers like Robert
McNamara wanting roofs and such (probably food too) we see him
choosing to use a traditional closed source model for the iOS app,
which I understand but find unfortunate.  I'd rather see the
development funded more like the way public broadcasting is funded
here in the US, but for some reason no one has tried to attempt this
on a significant scale.

Eric