[mythtv-users] THIS IS A NON-COMMERCIAL MAILING LIST (WAS: Re: Torc for iOS - Application Submitted to the App Store for Review)

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Wed Apr 18 02:01:37 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 2:32 AM, Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk> wrote:

> 2012/4/17 jedi <jedi at mishnet.org>:
> took about

> >> <SNIP>

> lots of
> to get
> "write
> >>
> >> If you're just ranting and not contributing any code to fulfill *your*
> >> expectations to this project, you're surely not helping either. Most
> >
> >    Feedback is no less helpful than code.
>
> In some cases, yes, but I really didn't see any constructive criticism
> in the mail I was replying to.

I refrained from responding to your last email, but this is simply
offensive.

> >    You don't need to be a code monkey to contribute to design or testing.
>
> Absolutely not! The important part is to contribute *something* and
> not just complain about others not doing it:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Contribute

OK, allow me to be clear. I'm a full time engineering student who works
part-time to make ends meet. For 30 weeks of the year I have, essentially,
no free time at all, and this will continue to be the case for another 2
years.

I'd love to contribute to the project. Some day I will. Right now I can't -
What I can offer is feedback, and I can make it as detailed as you like,
but I'm not going to invest that time if nobody is listening. If a
developer steps forward and says "I'm looking to improve commercial
detection, can users who experience poor flagging submit logs and samples",
I'll give you a flood. If a developer steps forward (as happened a year or
two back) and says "I'm looking to develop a new interface for MythMusic,
can anyone detail their specific issues with the current interface and
point to good features of other 10-foot music library interfaces", I'll
provide just such feedback (again).

But as it is, dozens of such comments are made on this list every week, and
never have I seen a developer pop in to say "Oh, hey, there does seem to be
a lot of users concerned about this, I'll give it some of my time". So I
see no point in adding my bucket to the river.

Regards,
Chris