[mythtv-users] Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one?

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 20:20:13 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Gordon McCrae <gordon.mccrae at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just installed MythTV 0.25 on my test rig, and while I'm
> generally incredibly impressed by it I'm afraid I have to agree with
> the various people who've already bemoaned the move away from
> directory tree structure for music selection.
>
> Having said that, I'm happy to accept that at the end of the day, I
> can't write the code so I have to take what's available and get on
> with it.
>
> My kids however find it impossible to get their little minds around
> the new system (and dad isn't much better off to be honest), so I'll
> need to find an alternative.
>
> Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, and conscious that compiling the
> old 0.24.x MythMusic to work with 0.25 is a very temporary solution at
> best, I'd like to know if anyone else out there uses alternative music
> players that implement the same sort of ARTIST/ALBUM/SONG structure
> that the old MythMusic used and can be controlled simply with a remote
> control (no keyboards on any of my eight MythTV systems).
>
> I recall briefly seeing the likes of Banshee and Amarok, and if memory
> serves, they follow the same sort of concept of the 0.25 MythMusic, so
> they're out (I believe).
>
> Cheers
> Gordon

I have never been a fan of MythMusic (and have not looked at .25's
implementation yet).  What I did in the past is make my mythbox a
squeezebox server and put on a squeezebox frontend on the frontend I
use (it happens to be the same machine as I only have a combined
FE/BE).  Then you can use any web browser as a remote or get iPeng for
the iPhone/iPod/iPad to use as a remote.  Nothing visual is displayed
on the tv so this might not be what you want and there are a couple
extra tricks you need to do to run it.

Now, with .25 supporting AirPlay, I suspect I will just stream
whatever music is on my iPhone to my mythbox.  Again, this uses the
iPhone sort of as a remote and you are limited to just what is on your
iDevice, but this is another solution.