[mythtv-users] THIS IS A NON-COMMERCIAL MAILING LIST (WAS: Re: Torc for iOS - Application Submitted to the App Store for Review)

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Tue Apr 17 14:47:46 UTC 2012

At 9:11 AM -0400 4/17/12, Mark Lord wrote:
>On 12-04-16 09:28 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
>>  On 17/04/2012 7:32 AM, Chris Pinkham wrote:
>>>  This mailing list is for the support of MythTV users using MythTV
>>>  and is not to be used for advertisement or support of any
>>>  commercial products, whether they be MythTV related or not.
>>>
>>>  Please continue this discussion elsewhere.
>>>
>>  I guess attitudes like this, is one of the reasons the Torc fork exists.
>
>Undoubtedly.
>
>Meanwhile, Chris has just forbade us from helping support tuner cards,
>cable cards, remote controls, HTPC cases and motherboards, etc..
>all of which are "commercial" products.   Yeah, right.
>
>The problem is, this list is run as a personal fiefdom by the devs,
>despite the "mythtv-users" moniker.
>
>Make no mistake -- we are here at the whims of the devs,
>and when they get pissed (like now), they may just pack up
>their marbles and go home.
>
>Phhfftt.

Baloney.  Robert's email was quite clear that he was announcing his
own commercial product:

At 11:37 PM +0000 4/14/12, Robert McNamara wrote (in part):
>In the end, I settled on what Apple calls "Tier 4" pricing, which is
>essentially $3.99 USD.  I am a strong believer in open source, but I
>am an equally strong believer in keeping a roof over my head. [snip]
>
>Note that this application has no official relationship with the Torc
>open source project, which is continuing quite nicely.  Since this is
>a MythTV list, I won't discuss that here.

I felt Robert's posting went too far into self-promotion.  He has
pointed towards the Torc website and forumn.  That forum has a grand
total of 6 posts, at the moment, and the website is decidedly vague.
Neither seems to have any mention of Torc for iOS.  The _only_
mentions of the commercial product, Torc for iOS, seems to have been
on the MythTV-users list.  (Not just by Robert; other interested
users have posted links to the demonstrations on YouTube.)  Robert
has every right to promote his product but I think he should do the
bulk of it somewhere else.

A parallel would be SiliconDust.  They used MythTV for internal
testing and development and contributed code back to the project.
There have been lots of mentions of the HDHomerun products on this
list but it is clear that detailed information and support is on
_their_ website and forum.  To me, that is as it should be.

Craig