[mythtv-users] SOLUTION: Mythvilldatabase was not running, log file did not exist

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Apr 17 11:37:59 UTC 2012

On 17/04/12 02:17, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
> In case this might help someone else, one solution to the
> problem of the automatic mythfilldatabase not running is
> to create the log file, /var/log/mythfilldatabase.log
>
> I'm running Mageia 1's mythtv-backend-0.24.1-20111019.0.1.mga1
> and related packages, and after a while I found the program
> listing was not being updated.  A scan of /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log
> showed an error message that mythfilldatabase could not open
> its log file, /var/log/mythfilldatabase.log with permission
> denied.
>
> It seems rather odd that MythTV creates its own directory,
> /var/log/mythtv, and then puts a log file elsewhere.  If
> /var/log/mythfilldatabase.log doesn't already exist with
> ownership and permissions to allow user mythtv to write to
> it, said user won't be able to create the file.  I would
> have thought mythtv-setup would create the log file with
> proper ownership and permissions.

I don't think that's how it works. It is up to the *distro* to create the
directory and set up the command-line arguments which decide where the logs go.
Mythtv by itself doesn't do any of these as far as I am aware.

If what you have described above is true, then it looks like the Mageia package
hasn't been set up correctly. Have a look in the system default files (I dunno
about Mageia; in Mandriva these are in /etc/sysconfig, in Debian they are in
/etc/default) and see what has been set up. Feel free to correct the data and
then complain to your distro maintainer.

--

Mike Perkins