[mythtv-users] HELP! UPnP Doesn't work on my network! (OT?)

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 04:38:16 UTC 2012

HELP!

The basic problem is my home network no longer seems to support the UPnP
Protocol.

Every time I reboot the Front End (using a remote frontend/backend setup) I
get the screen come up that requires I setup the frontend again (Starts
with Language/Country, then Database Settings).

It throws a "No UPnP" error at me.  Once I go back through setup with the
Database stuff it will connect to the backend properly (Note: It won't pull
up the right Theme settings, but I'll work with that later).

I'm CERTAIN that the problem is network related.  I recently (within the
last couple of months) replaced all of my unmanaged switches (10/100) with
Gigabit Managed Switches (Foundry Networks EdgeIron 24G-A).  Since that
time I've had an IMPOSSIBLE time getting a Segate GoFlex Home 2T (Network
NAS Storage) device to remain connected to the network (UPnP Device) and
now MythTV is throwing errors at me about not being able to UPnP also.
Prior to replacement, all worked just fine.

I realize this isn't a lot to go on, but I'm pretty lost at this point.
How would these managed Switches stop UPnP Messages?  Is that even
possible?  I know very little about UPnP, is it a protocol?  Last I
understood it was a multicast kind of thing which is pretty much a
broadcast message across the network?

Anyone have ANY insight with managed switches of any kind stopping UPnP and
what to do about "re-enabling" it?  Any information I can provide that
would help?

I'm pretty desperate here, WAF Factor going to the toilet pretty quickly.

--Douglas Wagner