[mythtv-users] THIS IS A NON-COMMERCIAL MAILING LIST (WAS: Re: Torc for iOS - Application Submitted to the App Store for Review)

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 23:07:39 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, 17 April 2012, Chris Pinkham wrote:

> This mailing list is for the support of MythTV users using MythTV
> and is not to be used for advertisement or support of any
> commercial products, whether they be MythTV related or not.
>
> Please continue this discussion elsewhere.

I thought this was really uncalled for. If it wasn't for Robert, you
wouldn't have said anything.

I'm no fan of Robert, that's a known fact within the devs, but credit is
due when due. if it wasn't for Robert that backend API wouldn't exist as it
does today.

There have been plenty of discussions related to using commercial products
with mythtv: remote, cable cards, VoD (paid services), applications
(Android comes to mind). I never saw such strong position before.

The only thing I thought was misplaced from Robert was his discussion
specifically about Torc project, where it's heading etc.

For a start, he's not the one who first posted about the iPad app and he
has abstained from talking about its progress earlier. He effectively only
responded to direct question.

If the app was still called MythTV companion like it was originally
intended, would you have posted so? I do t think so.
The name sucks, but what the app does remain the same: it's a great
addition to mythtv and make 0.25 a release worth upgrading to because of it.

Still can't believe I feel like I have to defend Robert in a public place!