[mythtv-users] Torc for iOS - Application Submitted to the App Store for Review

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 18:22:03 UTC 2012

Hi Matt,

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> First, thanks for this. If it works as well as it seems, especially
> remotely, it will replace a lot of the kludgy things I've been doing to get
> to my recordings  when not at home. Plus, it will make my iPad refrigerator
> mount much more useful!
>
> Second... As somebody who can't read code and hasn't looked to see if there
> are release notes, I have some questions about some of the aspects of this
> app.

There are indeed support/troubleshooting notes.  See:

http://www.fecitfacta.com/blog1/torc/

Which answers some of the questions you have asked here.

> A) Connection - Is the connection made over just http/https or does it use
> other ports? Is there some kind of MySQL connection made across the wire, or
> is it all "front ended" by the http session like MythWeb? I ask because my
> employer blocks several outbound ports to the internet, making non-standard
> apps like Plex a challenge.

All connections are via http.  The backend web server uses port 6544
by default, the frontend one uses 6547 by default.

> B) Speaking of connection, MySQL, etc - If this is all presented via a web
> front end, it should be relatively trivial for app developers to write
> direct hooks for Plex/ XBMC/ Boxee to connect into MythTV, no? This reminds
> me of a paradigm shift similar to when Microsoft opened Outlook Web Access
> to WebDAV and then Exchange Web Services, although a wee bit more open. :-)

Yes, it's all does via web services.  You can request returns in XML,
Apple plist (which is what I use), and JSON.  You could also write a
serializer for any other relevant output type.

> C) Security - If we do set this up so it's accessible over the Internet, how
> do we lock it down so that bad people don't log into our home MythTV
> systems?

This is covered in the troubleshooting page, so I'll just cut and paste here:

How do I connect to my backend from outside of the house?

This is a topic on which I can give you some advice, but I can’t give
you any direct assistance.  There are lots of ways to connect to your
backend from outside of your home.  There are really easy ones
(opening up port 6544 on your router and forwarding it to port 6544 on
your master backend) and there are slightly more difficult options
which are a way better idea.  You could use an SSH application to
create a tunnel to your home, or you can use the built in iOS VPN
functionality to connect to your system.  These are way better ideas
than simply opening up port 6544.  I strongly recommend the VPN or SSH
option.  I use the iOS VPN and connect directly to my master backend
using a Dynamic DNS hostname.

</end cut and paste>

Personally, I set up OpenSwan/IPSec and just use the native iOS VPN
client.  It works great-- I just go into settings, turn VPN to "on,"
and go to town.

> Bonus almost completely off-topic question: I'm about to set up a security
> system at my house and have considered MythZoneMinder. How hard would it be
> to add the ability to tune into my cameras using this app? I'd pay for a
> TorcZoneMinder app. :-)

No interest in this functionality for my part-- first off, none of the
plugins have any APIs associated with them yet, but moreover,
MythZoneMinder is dead in terms of development.  For my own part, my
goal was to be concise and distill Torc/Myth down to the most
fundamental elements-- and to make those elements vastly more easy to
use than a regular remote or any other frontend (web or otherwise)
makes them.  I wanted it to feel fun and self explanatory.  For this
reason, I think I will be trying to keep a tight focus on what this
app should do, to do it really well, and not bolt on everything I can
think of.

Thanks, and hope this helps,

Robert