[mythtv-users] CI / CI+ / CAM

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Sun Apr 15 17:48:58 UTC 2012

2012/4/13 Andre Hasekamp <andrehasekamp at netscape.net>:

> - And then, in 2011, someone mentions a kernel patch to make CI / CAM work.
> Alternatively, we have to wait until kernel 3.2 (as of yet unreleased) until
> this patch is included in the kernel. True, false? Hard for me to judge.

If I was the author of that post (which I likely was), then I was
talking about CI/CAM support for the TechnoTrend TT-connect CT-3650 CI
tuner. This had nothing to do with the generic CI/CAM support in the
kernel.

> So, wouldn't it be useful to have some documentation on when and how CI /
> CAM is supported or not supported by MythTV?

As I see it:
Software CAMs = Never supported in MythTV (due to obvious legal reasons).
Hardware CAMs = Technically supported in MythTV through the Linux DVB
API, but legally unsupported if you violate the ToS of your provider.

The support of CI/CAM on individual tuners should be added to the
LinuxTV wiki, not the MythTV wiki. If a tuner driver has CI-support,
it should work on all programs which implement the Linux DVB API and
which supports encrypted TV. Eg. when CI-support was added to the
above mentioned tuner, it worked fine both in MythTV and in VDR, even
though no changes were made in MythTV or VDR for the specific tuner.

Best regards
Kenni