[mythtv-users] Date format in 0.25 'Watch Recordings' screen

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sat Apr 14 17:25:03 UTC 2012

On 14/04/12 17:03, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/13/2012 10:14 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>>>
>>> Out of curiosity, why do you need to know the file name?
>>>
>>> If you're using MythTV recording files outside of MythTV (i.e. for
>>> playback on another player/device), you should be using something like
>>> mythlink.pl to create human-readable links to the machine-readable file
>>> names. Or, if you really need to know on a case-by-case basis, you can
>>> use the INFO key (or DETAILS) to see the details.
>>>
>>> And, in general, if you only use the recording with MythTV, the filename
>>> is irrelevant--since all file management should be done by/within MythTV
>>> itself.
>>
>> The filename is not actually visible when you are inside myth.
>
> Ummm... INFO (once or twice--not sure which page it's on) and scroll
> down. That's what I was saying, above--it /is/ actually visible when you
> are inside MythTV.
>
>> I like to use the starttime and chanid to find a file in the video
>> list, when I am copying files to a thumbdrive or whatever, to move to
>> the box at work. It's irritating and distracting when the OS and myth
>> *know* the real filename but some nanny has decided that it would be
>> 'cuter' or something to change that...and NOT make it a selectable
>> option. Not nice.
>
> Yeah, but isn't it easier to just copy using the nice, pretty names that
> mythlink.pl makes available?
>
> The point was that the user was trying to guess the file name based on
> channel number and start time. I gave him a couple options for ways to
> actually see the file name or to create a pretty view of human-readable
> names that act as replacements for the MythTV-centric, ugly, internal
> file names.
>
> So, I'm not saying we should hide it--I'm actually telling him how to
> find it.
>
> Mike

I have another perhaps 0.25-related query about date/time formats that I
may as well put here.  In a bash script I query the database to get
starttime. If I echo this I see YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.  I haven't had
problems using $starttime before but now mythcommflag fails with it.
With HD I can't use the mythtranscode --mpeg2 alternative.  How do I get
the  YYYMMDDHHMMSS00 format that it seems to want?

And FWIW the Myth screen does show today's date;  I just have it covered
by Konsole when I need it :-)

John P