[mythtv-users] Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Sat Apr 14 12:48:53 UTC 2012

On 4/14/2012 4:42 AM, Dave Brown wrote:

>     Some people prefer handling remote control input using Xorg, and
>     some people prefer handling remote control input using LIRC .
>
>     Thanks to Jarod's hard work, the LIRC kernel modules are being
>     integrated into the mainline kernel. These integrated kernel modules
>     appear as event input devices and support the video4linux remote
>     control API
>     (<http://linuxtv.org/__downloads/v4l-dvb-apis/remote___controllers.html
>     <http://linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis/remote_controllers.html>>).
>     As a result they can be handled by Xorg and they can have their keys
>     remapped using ir-keytable.
>
>     I prefer to use LIRC rather than Xorg for my remote control inputs.
>     I use eventlircd (<http://code.google.com/p/__eventlircd/
>     <http://code.google.com/p/eventlircd/>>) to route the event devices
>     created by the LIRC kernel modules through LIRC. eventlircd is
>     capable of mapping key combinations (such as Alt+P). In fact, that
>     is the primary reason that I wrote eventlircd.

> I prefer to use LIRC but having some problems as there are two remote
> sensors (one is on a usb tuner card)  The rc0 uses lirc0 and in my
> hardware.conf is set to REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0".
> They switch about on cold reboot stopping the remote from working.  Is
> there anyway to get the mce to stay against rc0?  I have tried setting
> both rc0 and rc1 to use LIRC but that makes not difference.
>
> Thanks
>
> ir-keytable
> Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event3) with:
> 	Driver cx88xx, table rc-hauppauge
> 	Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY LIRC
> 	Enabled protocols: LIRC
> 	Extra capabilities:<access denied>
> Found /sys/class/rc/rc1/ (/dev/input/event4) with:
> 	Driver mceusb, table rc-rc6-mce
> 	Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY LIRC
> 	Enabled protocols: LIRC
> 	Extra capabilities:<access denied>

What I do in MiniMyth is use udev to create device symbolic links from
the hardware's characteristics (e.g., vendor id, product id, serial
number). Once this is done, device can be referred to by the symbolic
link, which does not change as it is constructed from the hardware's
characteristics. For example, newer versions of udev contain a rules
script (60-persistent-input.rules) that does this for input devices.