[mythtv-users] Flakey HD-PVR

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Apr 13 19:10:10 UTC 2012

On 04/12/2012 11:10 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 01:24, R. G. Newbury<newbury at mandamus.org>  wrote:
>> And before jumping in with both feet you might profitably take to reading
>> the post first.
>
> I did.  The original post was from an individual in a country whose
> satellite boxes are reported to be HDMI with HDCP.  Any solution
> being offered for accessing that content (that would work) would
> require breaking of the HDCP chain, discussion of which, per
> the FAQ is "off limits" on this list (regardless of whether it is
> legal in other parts of the world) in order to protect the project
> (the reasoning is stated clearly in the referenced wiki page).
>
> Sometimes you are forced to make bad choices to avoid worse
> outcomes.
>
> Now, if what you are saying is that Jacek was proposing a
> solution that would not work, I do sincerely apologize to him
> for jumping to the conclusion he was referring to something
> that could work (and could not be discussed) rather than
> something that does not work (and can be discussed).
>
> Gary

I did not see any discussion of 'breaking' HDCP. He merely stated that
(he thought) there were 'better' solutions than the HDPVR (and which he
implied (or we all inferred) would avoid HDCP.

In fact, none of the publically available boards/boxes break HDCP and we
are left to use the analog hole as our only bypass. (Unless you were
prescient enough to order a 'DVI-Magic' box from SpatzTech during the
short window when they were freely available in Germany. (For all I know
they may still be available, *in Germany* but I would bet that there is
no way in hell they will sell and ship overseas...)

Geoff
--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury