[mythtv-users] simultaneous viewing

Russell Gower mythtv at thegowers.me.uk
Thu Apr 12 07:43:14 UTC 2012

On 12 Apr 2012, at 03:02, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> On 4/11/2012 21:56, Andrew Leech wrote:
>>>
>>> Are you asking if you can use VLC to stream video?  If so, no.
>>>
>> No, he's asking about VNC, not vlc.
>> I've used VNC to remote admin my main box at times, basically as a wireless keyboard.
>
> Erm, yeah... VNC.  VNC cannot be used to stream video.

My approach was to run a long hdmi cable to the kitchen and clone the the display to both outputs on the graphics card, for sound I have a custom .asoundrc file to send the same 2 channel pcm stream to my AV amp via spdif and to the kitchen TV via HDMI additionally it uses the ladspa delay_5s plugin to add a delay to the HDMI feed to synchronise the sound from the two outputs.

This limits me to watching the same program in the kitchen as in the lounge, sometimes I wish I could watch something different.

Ideally I would like two new features to mythfrontend, 1. add functionality to broadcast a playback timestamp for the currently playing file. 2. add functionality to allow "slave" frontends to optionally synchronise to this timestamp (with a configurable varience to allow for syncing audio). The first should be fairly easy, I'm not sure about the second. I would be willing to have a stab at implementing this if it where likely to be accepted by the devs.

Cheers
  Russell