[mythtv-users] invoke mythmessage with timeout?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Apr 11 14:02:01 UTC 2012

On 4/11/2012 09:17, Mark Lord wrote:
> On 12-01-28 09:23 AM, Dave Badia wrote:
>> I've been playing with mythmessage to display callerid info on my dev
>> box which is running master.  When I run mythmessage, the text stays
>> on the FE until the user hits the OK button.  Is there a way to call
>> mythmessage with a timeout so the dialog will disappear on it's own
>> after X seconds?  I'm using it for caller ID and there's no point in
>> keeping the info on the screen after the phone stops ringing.
>
> If all else fails, you could use "xmessage" rather than "mythmessage".
> The former does have timeouts and stuff.

See Mark Kendall's original response to the topic.  MythMessage
currently uses an XML template, with multiple fields that are replaced
through options on the command line.  Right now, there is only one
template supported, and running `mythutil --print-template` yields....

<mythmessage version="1">
<text>%message_text%</text>
<timeout>%timeout%</timeout>
</mythmessage>

So running `mythutil --message --message_text='blah blah blah'
--timeout=60` yields a popup that will time out automatically if not
cleared in 60 seconds.  The UDP listen daemon picks up the datagram, and
sends an internal event with the message and timeout, which gets
processed by the main UI window.  It spawns a popup with the message
and... completely discards the timeout duration.  I'll have to
investigate this further...