[mythtv-users] NVidia HDMI overscan

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 04:48:35 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Bob <mythtv at cox.net> wrote:
> On 04/07/2012 01:28 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 7:03 AM, Bob<mythtv at cox.net>  wrote:
>>

>>> I have my frontend (GT210) connected to an AV receiver (Onkyo) via HDMI
>>> then
>>> to my TV also using HDMI.  The problem I am having is the I am not able
>>> see the entire image, it appears to be "cut off" all the way around.
>>>
>>> I've done many searches, most people having this issue are using a DVI to
>>> HDMI adapter, which I am not.
>>>
>>> I have looked at the settings in both my TV and AV receiver, but I cannot
>>> make an adjustment for this.  I'd appreciate any suggestions.
>>>

>> Are you sure your TV doesn't have a setting? Sometimes hidden in the
>> aspect ratio options?
>>
>> Failing that nVidia settings has an overscan slider. Adjust it and
>> save settings.
>>

> My TV is too old.  The nvidia-settings program worked great.  I just had to
> add "nvidia-settings -l" to my start-up script to keep the settings
> persistent.

Glad it worked for you. The quality will not be as good as if your TV
had the right setting.

I spent a considerable amount of time helping a guy on mythbuntu
forums who swore black and blue that his TV didn't have this setting,
only to be told in the end that he found an undocumented "Just Scan"
settings in the aspect ratio settings.

TV manufacturers do seem to hide these settings though. There is some
info at http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/ but the site doesn't seem
to have been updated for a while.