[mythtv-users] NVidia HDMI overscan

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Apr 9 18:11:26 UTC 2012

On 09/04/12 18:08, Dave Badia wrote:
> I have a tv whose native resolution is 1366x768.  After reading this thread
> I'd   like to output to its native resolution.
>
> I don't see 1366x768 in the EDID data, should I use a modeline to acheive
> this?   The wiki indicates that modelines shouldn't be used much anymore.

First question is, how are you feeding the TV? VGA? HDMI? Something else?

Our old TV was 1366x768 connected via VGA and I struggled mightily to get the
modelines right. Whatever I did the TV ignored and resampled. In the end I
settled on 1280x720 and it seemed to work well enough.

One gotcha with modelines is that the values are supposed to be multiples of 8,
which means in practice you need 1360x768, losing 4 pixel each side.

Our present TV seems also to be 1366x768 - although it's never explicitly said
anywhere, even in the EDID. There's only a brief mention of "million pixel
display" in the manual which is the giveaway. This one, however, is fed by HDMI
and with an NVidia ION2 chip driving it, and the "exact-PC" option selected in
the TV menu, "does the right thing".

Brief summary - different inputs need different treatment.

--

Mike Perkins