[mythtv-users] Kernel Crash when starting up in au0828-video.c line 895

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Sun Apr 8 06:34:34 UTC 2012

    > Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2012 20:56:23 -0400
    > From: Mark Lord <mythtv at rtr.ca>

    > I should add that, even with the above workarounds, there is STILL an issue
    > when mythbackend starts up:  If you have "multi-rec" enabled (more than one
    > virtual tuner per physical HVR-950Q), then the backend will have several
    > near-simultaneous "tune to initial channel" calls into the drivers.

    > This will cause tuner failure.

I haven't been following this thread closely (not my hardware), but
would it be possible to tune using an external tuner script that uses
a mutex and some sleeps to avoid simultaneous tunes?  I have no idea
if the way multirec tunes this hardware is amenable to breaking it
out externally like that.

I actually do something like this with Motorola STB's being tuned
through their serial ports.  I discovered experimentally that
commanding more than 2 USB-serial devices causes garblage among
them,* so I wrote a script that only allows 2 simultaneous tunes to
happen---if there are 3 queued, the third waits until one of the first
two finishes, then gets to happen, etc.  Works great.  But I don't know
if your tuner is amenable to being controlled via an external script.

* No idea where in the stack this is happening, or if it's the USB
  hub, or something else, and since it was very old code anyway I
  figured it'll probably go away on an upgrade, so writing the script
  was quick & easy.