[mythtv-users] Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings

Preston Crow pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net
Sat Apr 7 23:42:22 UTC 2012

The main reason to use LIRC instead of configuring the remote to send
keystrokes directly is that with LIRC you can have different
configurations for different applications.  With Myth, this is critical
if you're using an external video player for any video types.  You'll
want different bindings for xine or mplayer.  I'm not sure about flash
with mythnetvision, as I haven't played with that much.

It might also be possible to configure the remote for use with mythgame
and emulators, but I expect the response time isn't good enough.