[mythtv-users] udev permissions on /dev/rtc

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 17:46:48 UTC 2012

I figured I'd post a heads up on this, as others may have had this
happen an aren't aware of it.

My frontend is running Gentoo (a 3.2.1 kernel and udev sys-fs/udev-171-r5).

I finally got around to replacing my old nVidia 7100 card with a GT
430 and started using VDPAU high quality deinterlacing
etc...wow...should have done that a long time ago.  The 1080i quality
is so much better.

Doing this got me looking at all my playback settings which I hadn't
touched in just about forever.  In doing so I realized that it was
using usleep for video sync, and I knew I'd been set up properly for
RTC a long time ago.

Apparently, and I'm not sure when, most likely as a result of a udev
update, my /dev/rtc was getting created readable only to root.  It may
have been like this for a very long time.  In order to correct it I
had to add a udev rule like this:

KERNEL=="rtc|rtc0", MODE="0664"

In my case there's only /dev/rtc, but apparently in some cases there
can be rtc0.  For those using RTC, it may be worth checking if you
still actually are.

Tom