[mythtv-users] If I go for 0.25 can I downgrade afterward

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Fri Apr 6 01:41:49 UTC 2012

On 04/05/2012 09:20 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 6 April 2012 10:57, Dale Pontius <DEPontius at edgehp.net> wrote:
>> I'll have to agree about taking an extra database dump, on the spot.
>> It's entirely possible that there has been some database action since
>> the automatic dump, and if you rely on the automatic dump you'll miss
>> that action.  The big thing is to find a clear block of time, after the
>> last recording has had its commercials flagged, and before you do the
>> next recording.
>
> You have to make sure you don't upgrade mysql when doing so..
>
> I did that last time , backedup the actual binary database and
> configured ubuntu to upgrade to new 0.25 packages.
>
> Turned out that it upgraded mysql at the same time, so my backup was
> completely useless...

Actually, you can.  I just wouldn't suggest doing both at the same time.
 MySQL has binary upgrade scripts, and I've used them to go from 5.0 to
5.1 and 5.1 to 5.5.  (That last upgrade was in error, and I ended up
backing up to 5.1 - fortunately I made copies all along the way.)  You
just have to keep the 2 upgrades separate, and handle only one at a time.

Dale Pontius