[mythtv-users] If I go for 0.25 can I downgrade afterward

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Fri Apr 6 00:57:22 UTC 2012

On 04/05/2012 04:52 PM, Chris Lewis wrote:
> Thanks
>
> I'll have a read tomorrow when I'm less tired and give the upgrade a go
> I think
>
> Chris
>
> On Apr 5, 2012 10:46 PM, "Raymond Wagner" <raymond at wagnerrp.com
> <mailto:raymond at wagnerrp.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 4/5/2012 16:44, Chris Lewis wrote:
>
>         Can you enlighten me as to what I should do if I break it :-)
>

>     See...
>     http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/__Database_Backup_and_Restore#__Database_Restore
>     <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Database_Restore>

You can also simply "cp -a /var/lib/mysql /var/lib/mysql-bkup" before
doing the upgrade.  It's basically a "binary backup".  I wouldn't advise
it instead of a dump, rather it's a quick way to get back.  But if it
fails, you should always have the dump.

I'll have to agree about taking an extra database dump, on the spot.
It's entirely possible that there has been some database action since
the automatic dump, and if you rely on the automatic dump you'll miss
that action.  The big thing is to find a clear block of time, after the
last recording has had its commercials flagged, and before you do the
next recording.

Dale Pontius